<< Back to Main Project Gallery
Altoona Fire Station
Altoona to construct new fire station with KAN STEP grant
The City of Altoona will construct a new fire station, thanks to a $299,587 grant from the Kansas Dept. of Commerce KAN STEP program. Altoona is a small town with a strong sense of community and civic involvement located in Neosho County in southeastern Kansas. The local fire department determined that there is a need for a modern fire station building to house the fire equipment, provide some administrative space and a meeting space that could be used for training of personnel.
The city will contribute $209,914 in volunteer labor and equipment to the project. The facility has a retail cost estimate of $509,501. Zingre’ and Associates, PA, of Fort Scott, KS is the project architect. Grant administration will be by Becky Voorhies of the Southeast Kansas Regional Planning Commission. Inspection services and assistance will be provided by Kansas Rural Water.
The new fire station will include the following:
• An administrative office for the fire chief, small meetings and storage of
• A training room with space for 50 people sitting at tables
• A kitchen that is large enough to prepare some food and provide space for
• Drive through engine bay with room for 5 pieces of equipment
• Storage and mechanical space.